Members of the Mary Slocumb Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution recently celebrated the 115th anniversary of the chapter with an afternoon tea at Centre Presbyterian Church in Mooresville.
The chapter got its start in October 1903 when women who were interested in forming a chapter began discussing plans. Thirteen potential founding members held an organizational meeting on May 23, 1904 at the home of Anna Wilfong Goodman, who was the descendant of at least six proven Revolutionary patriots, including Jacob Forney, William and Alexander Moore and John Wilfong. Twelve other area women joined her to form the chapter, which was granted its charter in 1905.
See all the photos at the bottom of this article
Mary Slocumb is the fourth oldest DAR chapter in North Carolina and has grown to 98 members. From its inception, the Mary Slocumb Chapter has worked to uphold the principles of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution: historic preservation, patriotism, service to veterans and education.
The local chapter has contributed many hours of service to the local community and has provided historical markers for historic sites, including the Skirmish of Torrence Tavern on Langtree Road. That marker was originally placed in 1914 and renovated in 2014. More recently, chapter members planted daffodils at the Veterans War Memorial to honor children murdered in the Holocaust, initiated a Constitution Day program and participated in other local patriotic festivities.
Several state officers from the North Carolina Society Daughters of the Revolution attended the event as guests. These included Carole Weiss, regent; Anna Choi, vice regent; Rosie Craig, treasurer; Kim Edds, chaplain; Susan Hines, corresponding secretary; Donna Rhyne, registrar; and Nancy Wark, librarian. Anne Hobbs, who is state organizing secretary and a member of the chapter, was also present, along with members of other area chapters.
During the event, Weiss presented several awards for continuous membership in the DAR, including a 40-year award to Mary Morrow and a 20-year award to Priscilla Sundie.
The tea was held at the Centre Presbyterian Church, a facility that holds historical significance for many members, since the Revolutionary War ancestors of many members are buried in the church’s cemetery. Founded in 1765, the church is steeped with Revolutionary War history. Situated centrally between five other Presbyterian missions – Sugaw Creek, Hopewell, Fourth Creek, Poplar Tent and Thyatira – the church gained the name “Centre.” Many members of those churches were dedicated patriots who supported American independence from Britain.
The Daughters of the American Revolution is the world’s largest women’s service organization. To become a member, women must provide direct ancestral lineage to a Revolutionary War patriot – someone who fought in the American Revolution or who provided material or other support to those who were fighting.
The Mary Slocumb chapter welcomes the public to its monthly meetings at the Mooresville Public Library, 304 South Main Street. The meetings, which begin at 10:30 a.m., feature speakers on topics of interest to the group’s focus of historic preservation, veterans, education and patriotism.
For information on the local chapter, contact Regent Brenda Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org